Sunday, June 27, 2010

Shopping 101

Oooh, shopping? Fun!

No. Not this type of shopping. I don't know if it's just my boys, but they are a nightmare to take shopping. I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Firstly, they don't like throwing out old items of clothing. Jeans that are basically hanging on by a thread? Noooo, they are my favourite pair. Socks that have worn through? They are my favourite. Shirts that are six sizes too small? You guessed it. THE FAVOURITE SHIRT.

Basically anything that needs to be thrown out is the favourite item. I believe that this is only so they don't have me nagging them to go out and buy a new shirt/jeans/shoes. But when it comes to new Nike's they're all:

"Oh, Muuum. When are we going to the shops to buy me some Nike's?"

Huh?

So, it's a challenge to even get them to the shops. Once we actually get to the shops, then it all starts to get worse.

Do you want to have a look in *insert cheaper store name here*? Nope.

Did you want to go into *other store* before we go to the Nike shop? Nah.

YOU NEED NEW JEANS. WE ARE GOING TO GET SOME WHILE WE ARE HERE. OK? Do we have to? Fiiiiine.

We're in the jean store where they are spoilt for choice. So many lovely pairs of jeans around. Do my boys like any? No. They walk around the store staring at the walls for ten minutes while I choose out some jeans I think they would like. They're all:

"Nup. No. Nah"

*sigh*

OK, BOYS. WE'RE HERE TO BUY JEANS FOR YOU. PICK AND PAIR AND GO AND TRY THEM ON!

They each pick a pair that is closest to their hands. They walk slowly into the change rooms. I wait outside while they put them on. Reading facial expressions and mumbles is very important in knowing if they like the clothes or not. I have put together a small guide for you:

Slight nod and "mmmm": YES! Loves! Grab and run!

Loong sigh. Unimpressed look on face: No. These are not the ones.

Nervous "yeeeah" and shifty eyes: Maybe. If you find no others, get these.

Both boys have the 'maybe' reaction. Damn it. They go back out and find another pair each. They try them on. I get the slight nod from both boys.

I am tempted to drop everything, wave my arms in the air and start shouting singing "The minor fall, the major lift. The baffled king, composing Hallelujah! Hallelujah, Hallelujah. Haaaaalleluuuuuuuuujaaaaah!"

I don't. Instead, I grab the jeans, run over to the counter, cringe at the price but think thank the lord I'm out of there. Now we can go shopping for me, yay. *ahem*

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. I don't think any boys are good shoppers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son is fairly easy to shot with, but my daughter... gad! She wants to go into every story, and try on every item in every store. It's quicker, and easier on my sanity, to simply give her a pre-paid credit card and let her shop on her own.

    ReplyDelete